High hopes in Evanston

In an unusual Big Ten season highlighted by inconsistent play and surprising teams, the Northwestern Wildcats men's basketball team has made its mark by relinquishing the dubious distinction the program has been associated with numerous times in past years'being the conference's perennial doormat.  

Instead, this team stands out as one of this year's feel-good stories in conference play. In fact, heading into Wednesday's home game against Michigan State, the Wildcats (3-5 Big Ten, 12-8 overall) have already surpassed last year's win total by one game and need just three more victories to become eligible for a postseason berth for the first time since playing in the 1999 NIT.  

However, second-year Head Coach Bill Carmody intends to maintain a clear perspective of his team's road ahead through the remainder of this season. 

\I'm thinking about that Columbus trip right now,"" Carmody said prior to last Saturday's road game at Big Ten leader Ohio State. ""We're only halfway through the season, it's too early to think about that."" 

But in spite of Carmody's careful thinking, his team will likely make the postseason this year. 

A reason why Northwestern is experiencing a change in fortune is the fabled motion offense installed by Carmody upon his arrival from Princeton University in the summer of 2000.  

This offense, which relies on backdoor cuts, screens, and crisp passing, is also a prime reason why the Wildcats rank first in scoring defense in the conference, allowing 58.2 points per game.  

When properly executed, this scheme is intended to limit an opponent's offensive touches and also wear down its defense by utilizing much of the shot clock on each possession.  

Thus, opponents must remain alert at all times as Northwestern will look to take advantage of any defensive lapse to attack the basket. 

""If you don't have defensive patience, [their offense] can make things ugly in a hurry,"" Wisconsin Head Coach Bo Ryan said. 

Although Northwestern is last in the conference offensively, averaging 62.0 points per game, Carmody believes his team is improving offensively. 

""I think we've been running our offense much better,"" Carmody said. ""We've been getting pretty good shots the last month."" 

After enduring a 5-25 mark two seasons ago, the Wildcats found themselves without a coach as former Wildcat head man Kevin O'Neill bolted for the NBA.  

In came Carmody, a former assistant under Pete Carrill at Princeton who later coached the Tigers to two NCAA tournaments during the 1990s. Though he knew coaching in Evanston wasn't going to be easy, he relished the challenge. 

""I'm just real eager and excited about this opportunity,"" Carmody said at the time of his hiring. ""I think we can win here."" 

Instantly, the new coach brought stability to the team by departing from the fiery, oft-abusive approach of O'Neill and becoming patient with his players. 

""If [O'Neill] was rated R, then Coach Carmody is probably PG-13,"" junior forward Winston Blake said. ""[Carmody] will get on you, but he doesn't have all the language K.O. had."" 

Carmody also believes in building a winner that will make the university proud. 

""I just think we have to raise our expectations around here,"" he said. ""We're just starting to grow here. If our players expect to win and know that's expected of them, then I think you can go places."" 

Indeed, one of those places might just be the postseason, a place they haven't been back to since 1999.  

Feb. 9, Ohio State at Michigan State 

The Spartans face a big test as the Buckeyes travel to East Lansing to continue a four-game road trip. Should Ohio State win, the Spartans' chances for an NCAA bid will become a longshot. 

Ohio State'Strong guard play key to success. 

Illinois'Can still turn things around, but needs to do so quickly. 

Indiana'Might be the Big Ten's hottest team.  

Wisconsin'Win against the Buckeyes helps chances for the Big Dance. 

Minnesota'Rick Rickert's Player of the Week honors first for a freshman since current Iowa Hawkeye Luke Recker did so.  

Michigan State'Road victory over Illinois still keeps young Spartans alive. 

Northwestern'NIT most likely place for the Wildcats, but still have an outside chance. 

Michigan'Win over Wisconsin not very impressive in NCAA's eyes. 

Penn State'Young team equals struggles. 

Purdue'See Penn State.