A variety of outcomes for UW teams this weekend

Despite an explosive start to the game, the Wisconsin women's basketball team dropped its eighth loss of the season to the Texas Tech Lady Red Raiders Sunday. 

The Badgers came to Texas after trouncing Northwestern, 80-47, Thursday night but could not produce the same magic and suffered a 78-62 loss. 

High scorers for the Badgers include senior guard Tamara Moore with 16 points, senior guard Kyle Black with 14 points and sophomore center Emily Ashbaugh with 12 points.  

The Badger women's hockey team buried the Gophers Saturday, as they ended Minnesota's 24-game unbeaten streak. Wisconsin marked its win with a 2-0 victory over Minnesota. 

Although the Badgers were held scoreless in the first two periods, sophomore forward Meghan Hunter and junior forward Kathy Deveraux both put points on the board for Wisconsin, giving them their 17th win of the season.  

The women continued to battle hard Sunday but came up shorthanded in overtime, losing to the Gophers 3-2.  

Badgers junior defender Kerry Weiland and sophomore forward Steph Millar each scored goals for Wisconsin. However, points from Minnesota's Kelly Stephens and Tracy Engstrom brought the game to a tie and sent the teams into overtime.  

Early in overtime, Minnesota scored its game-winning goal when Kristy Oonincx beat UW junior goaltender Jackie Macmillan to the net. The Badgers will host Ohio State Feb. 22 and 23. 

Brian Murphy, formerly an assistant administrator for the Badger football team, has been hired as a full-time coach for special teams and outside linebackers.  

Murphy's name may sound familiar'as a graduate assistant in 1995 and 1996, he aided Wisconsin assistant head coach John Palermo with the defensive line. Murphy also helped direct recruiting at Wisconsin in 1994, and was an academic liaison for the Badgers in 1993.  

Murphy brings to Wisconsin's coaching a long list of credentials from other schools as well. Murphy has worked at Lehigh University, his alma mater, as well as the University of San Diego and Baylor. 

The Wisconsin women's tennis team improved its record to 1-0 Big Ten, 6-2 overall, as it knocked off No. 75 Drake University Friday and Western Michigan Sunday, both at home. Against Drake, Wisconsin won all six of its singles points and dropped just one doubles match.  

The Badgers continued their hot streak Sunday as they shut out the Broncos 7-0.  

In doubles play, freshmen Katie McGaffigan and Lindsay Martin remain undefeated. Juniors Linde Mues and Lara Vojnov dominated on the court as well, defeating their opponents both days.  

For the fourth time this season, the women proved themselves in the singles competition as well when they won all six of their single matches. Senior Vanessa Rauh, junior Shana McElroy and McGaffigan have six wins each this season. 

The No. 7 Notre Dame men's tennis team proved to be too much for No. 64 Wisconsin, as they defeated the Badgers 6-1. The Badgers dropped to 3-1 overall while Notre Dame moved up to 8-3 overall. 

Wisconsin's top doubles pair of junior Scott Rutherford and sophomore Scott Green lost their first match of the season, 9-7, to seniors Casey Smith and Javier Taborga.  

In singles action, Rutherford was the only Badger to win, defeating Smith 6-2 and 6-4. 

Wisconsin then defeated Ball State Sunday 4-3 and are now 3-2 overall.