State Street businesses propose West Gilman Street parking ramp

Two State Street business groups recently approved the construction of a third State Street parking ramp at the site of the city-owned Buckeye parking lot, 214 W. Gilman St., bringing the city a step closer to the realization of a plan that has been in the works for close to a decade. 

It has been seven years since a mid-State Street parking ramp was proposed to the Common Council. The debate over the potential site of the ramp in the 300 block of West Gorham Street, and the potential demolition of Cue-Nique Billiards, 317 W. Gorham St., divided the business community and the Council eventually voted to reject the plan. 

The difference this time is the unity among State Street businesses, according to Downtown Madison Inc. executive director Susan Schmitz. Schmitz said the two main downtown merchant groups, DMI and the Greater State Street Business Association, have both approved the site choice. 

\The businesses are just thrilled something is happening,"" she said. ""They just want people to come to their businesses."" 

According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, who will introduce a formal resolution for the ramp's construction to the Council in February, the complex will hold significantly more parking places than the current size of 56. 

""The thinking, at least at this point, is that we should be able to construct 250 short-term parking stalls,"" he said.  

Former GSSBA President Chuck Bauer, owner of The Soap Opera, 319 State St., said he was not surprised by the time it has taken to decide upon a new ramp site, but said he was comforted that the process was finally over. 

""It's the nature of the public process to be lengthy,"" he said. ""I'm relieved a decision has been made, and I think it will be of great benefit to downtown generally."" 

The city put the responsibility of finding the new site on the shoulders of the business community to avoid the divisive debate that nixed the last proposal, Madison Mayor Sue Bauman said. 

""It was basically the businesses saying, 'We need this' and the city saying, 'Fine, how do you want to do this?'"" she said. ""They rose to the challenge, which I thought they would."" 

Though Verveer said the plan was still ""conceptual"" and that acquisition of three homes adjacent to the current parking lot could possibly involve a lengthy condemnation process, Bauman said she wants to move on the project as soon as possible. 

""I don't know why we shouldn't be able to move forward now,"" she said. ""We could break ground this year.\