Flogging Molly

This Los Angeles, California band has been delighting crowds with their powerful mix of punk rock and Irish folk since 1993.

Hillel mock trial tackles First Amendment issues

To address issues connected with freedom of speech and the media, UW-Madison students held a mock trial in 2260 Law Building Wednesday night to address the topic.  

Students debated the fictitious case of Siegel v. Monroe Wednesday in a mock trial hosted by the Tzedek Hillel program. The event focused on freedom of speech and the effect of words on society, especially through information distributed by the media. 

A student planning committee authored the case. 

\The goal of the mock trial is not to win or lose; the goal is to provoke a discussion between students,"" said UW-Madison sophomore Sarah Lerman, an attorney for the defense.  

Lerman said the issues involved in the case were significant because of the current climate of the United States. 

""War wasn't part of our generation's life until recently and how the media has to be liable for how they respond to it [is also important],"" she said. 

A cast of students performed the case surrounding the death of George Siegel, who was murdered by Joe Adams, an anti-war activist played by UW-Madison junior Micah Bycel. Adams murdered Siegel after listening to comments condemning peace protesters made by Katya Monroe, a radio commentator. Monroe was then charged with criminal negligence. The cast also included two plaintiff attorneys, played by UW-Madison sophomore Stephanie Hirschorn and freshman Chris Zdarsky; two defense attorneys, played by Lerman and freshman Sarah Steinberg; and witnesses. 

Mark Frankel, a Madison attorney, played the judge. 

Frankel said he participated because of Hillel's mission statement to ""spur community activity, education and political awareness."" 

""I got involved in this because I feel it is important to community education,"" he said. ""There have been fierce debates on campus about the first amendment and it is important for students to have a chance to discuss it."" 

After the trial, a discussion was held to address ideas of the First Amendment, the impact of words and who should be held accountable. 

UW-Madison sophomore Jeremy Manela said the First Amendment is a topic that needs to be discussed. 

""America wants to make sure crazy liberal students in Madison can say what they want to say,"" he said. 

Other students said they felt a fine line existed between freedom of speech and reckless comments. 

""I think you have to look at the different cases to determine where a line can be drawn regarding the First Amendment,"" said UW-Madison sophomore Aaron Doraeim. ""There is no question that words have impact."" 

Hillel will be sponsoring another trial in the spring, for which an informational meeting will be held Dec. 11.