Governor race gets early start

The race for governor has begun. 

With little more than a year left before elections, candidates are already gearing up for what could become the most hotly contested governor's race Wisconsin has seen in some time. 

For the first time in a decade, former Gov. Tommy Thompson will be absent from the race, making it an unusual campaign for Wisconsin, said Don Kettl, a UW-Madison political science professor. 

\No candidate has the strong advantages of incumbency Thompson had,"" Kettl said. ""We're entering Never-never Land with this race."" 

Thompson was and still is a big name in Wisconsin, but his successor, Gov. Scott McCallum, is not so familiar to Wisconsin voters. He lacks the name recognition that Thompson and several Democratic candidates possess. This liability, or asset, could help set the tone for the campaign, Kettl said. 

""The time between now and the election next year will provide [McCallum] an opportunity to define what he is and what he is going to be,"" Kettl said. 

""He's got time to really carve out an identity for himself for how he wants to be seen and advance that."" 

And to advance his image, ads come in handy. McCallum has recently been featured in several GOP-paid radio ads highlighting the governor's accomplishments, including his record on education, the environment and taxes. These ads, whether intentionally political or not, are valuable tools in promoting his name, said former Milwaukee Sentinel reporter Neil Shively, a longtime observer of state politics. 

McCallum also appeared in a $100,000 ad campaign paid for by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation soliciting public input on the Milwaukee Interchange redesign project. 

These ads have drawn fire from Democrats who say featuring the governor in ads paid for by thousands of dollars in taxpayer money is a tasteless avenue to promote himself, free of charge. 

""These ads may promote McCallum more than the interchange,"" said George Twigg, spokesperson for U.S. Rep. and gubernatorial candidate Tom Barrett, D-Wis. ""There is a real need for public input, but no real need to use this as a vehicle to promote the governor. It would be more appropriate to have Milwaukee representatives or DOT officials featured than the governor."" 

The considerable number of advertisements McCallum has appeared in, including public service announcements, is not necessarily unusual, Kettl said. And with several of these ads relating to the recent terrorist attacks, it is difficult to gauge whether these ads are political or just part of the job, Shively added. 

These are different times, he said. 

And a different governor. Shively said now is the time when McCallum needs to develop his persona in Wisconsin. 

""He has to make a name for himself. You've got a guy like [Attorney General] Jim Doyle who's ready to pounce,"" Shively said. ""And Doyle already has considerable name recognition in Wisconsin."" 

But this race will not only be unusual for Republicans. It also offers new opportunities for Democrats.  

Democratic candidates like Doyle and Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk are ready to take advantage of an unfamiliar incumbent, Shively said. As a result, the campaign could become one of the most expensive races the state has ever seen. 

""It is going to be fascinating to watch,"" Kettl said. ""Candidates are raising money, getting their campaigns in gear."" 

And on the college campus front, students are beginning to organize. The College Democrats have started working for candidates, organizing fund-raisers and events to increase their visibility, said UW-Madison sophomore Jason Stephany, a spokesperson for the group. 

""We don't endorse before the primary, but we have worked on events for all the democratic candidates,"" Stephany said. 

And Students for McCallum have already had a kickoff meeting. 

""This will be the biggest race in Wisconsin and we want to make an impact on it,"" said UW-Madison junior Susie Strzelec, a vice chair for the College Republicans. ""We've got plans and we're getting the ball rolling.\