UW soccer has rough weekend

Sunday, the University of Wisconsin men's soccer team beat Michigan State after losing Friday night at Northern Illinois, 3-2. 

Senior forward Dominic DaPra made a goal, assisted by freshman midfielder Nicolas Aguilar against the Huskies in the first period.  

In the second period, senior forward Aaron Lauber, assisted by DaPra and freshman John McGrady, scored the second goal for the Badgers.  

The matchup against the Spartans at the McClimon Track/Soccer complex gained the Badger's first Big Ten conference victory. The 5-3 win put the Badgers at 8-7-1 overall and 1-3-0 in the Big Ten.  

Head Coach Kalekeni Banda said he felt the Badgers played their positions well.  

\We had a good start for this game,"" Banda said. ""We had to make sure we were doing everything right."" 

DaPra also agreed that the team played well in the beginning. 

""We were looking to get a lead early,"" DaPra said. ""We haven't done that in a while, and Dave [Martinez] did it."" 

The Badgers out-shot the Spartans 16-15. The first two goals came from freshman midfielder David Martinez in the first period.  

The third goal of the first period was from freshman forward Nick Van Sicklen, assisted by DaPra.  

The senior goalie only gave up one goal 11 minutes into the second period after making eight saves, one of which was a penalty kick from the first period.  

By scoring Wisconsin's last two goals in the second period, DaPra tied his record of 15 goals scored in a season. The first goal was unassisted and was followed by another goal, assisted by senior defender Scott Repa.  

Michigan State's final two goals of the game were made on junior goalie Phil Ayoub.  

Banda said he hopes the win against Michigan State will help motivate the team for the rest of the season.  

""I hope this win will be a stepping stone for the next games against Northwestern and Ohio State,"" Banda said.  

The Badgers' last home game is Nov. 4 against Ohio State after the Badgers travel to Northwestern Nov 1.  

The University of Wisconsin Women's Soccer team suffered two losses at the McClimon Track/Soccer complex this weekend.  

Friday night's loss came in overtime to the Northwestern Wildcats, 1-0. It was the Badgers' seventh overtime game of the season, beating the school record of six in 1995 and 1996.  

The only goal of the game came 31 seconds into the first overtime by Wildcat freshman forward Ashleigh Garmon assisted by senior forward Kase McCoy.  

Senior forward Kelly Kundert said the team felt confident going into the game against the Wildcats.  

""We had high expectations,"" Kundert said. ""I thought we were really pumped up and ready to go. It's a tough way to end [the conference season]. We had a lot of attempts.""  

Sunday's matchup against Marquette was the last home game of the season. It was also Senior Day for women's soccer, as all six senior Badgers started the game. 

Even though Wisconsin was able to out-shoot Marquette 16-8 the Badgers were unable to make any goals.  

The Golden Eagles upset the Badgers 2-0. After a scoreless first period, Golden Eagles sophomore midfielder Anne Ioder made the first goal less than 10 minutes into the second period.  

The second goal came about 13 minutes later when Marquette sophomore midfielder Kristen Jensen had a penalty kick.  

Despite the losses, Head Coach Dean Duerst said he feels the team can end the season on a positive note.  

""We have to pick ourselves up and show some spirit,"" Duerst said. ""Right now we are playing for a lot of pride.\