This is no VH1 list: Ramblings crowns the divas

Is it just me or has the word 'diva' been thrown around too loosely lately? I watched a lot of VH1 over the summer and it seemed that whoever was making creative decisions wanted anyone with a whiny voice and breasts to be crowned as a diva. Does anyone even know what the definition of diva is? I guess it implies the title of a powerful woman in the entertainment world with an even more powerful voice and/or lyrical message. Maybe it just implies that a diva is a woman who has sold millions of records and can buy fancy outfits. Maybe a diva is just a female sex symbol, or maybe it's a combination of all of these.  

Whatever diva means, the title seems to single certain women out as a special force in music. It may even form a sense of pride or prestige for woman. Diva status also implies a position of power or dominance for the labeled woman. The word diva to me is just another buzz word to define women in music. It's just another umbrella to place over a group of female singers who have enjoyed commercial success and are meaningful in some way, whether it be their sex appeal, attitude, singing voice or lyrics. But to VH1 it means power, and so I question why some of the female singers made the list. Most of them are selling themselves on looks and voice and not power in their attitudes or lyrical messages. Most of the VH1 divas don't even write their own songs or play an instrument. The only power these divas have is in the bank, not in their lyrical meaning or social significance.  

The word 'diva' is reminiscent of the phrase 'girl power' slandered by the Spice Girls. It means something important, but when used by the wrong people it can become a complete joke. 

In order to reclaim the seriousness of females in music and their power, I would like to crown my own divas.  

Not only does Hanna sing a powerful message in her songs, but she also plays guitar fiercely. As the leader of Bikini Kill and now Le Tigre, Hanna uses her explosive voice to push against the status quo and challenge relevant topics such as police and government corruption. In her own words, 'That girl thinks she's the queen of the neighborhood, guess what, she is!' 

Three crowns for Janet, Corin and Carrie. This band has been ripping up the rock circuit for years with its extreme musical talent. The riot girrrls are down to earth and mega-talented both vocally and instrumentally.  

Every album is a masterpiece from to . Phair's voice is beautifully harmonic as she tells her compelling stories while she pounds out her skilled guitar riffs. 

Hey, Elton John can do it. Why not Boy? 

Ah, the '80s. You gotta love Blondie's voice and her creative, fun song writing using everything from rap to disco-rock. 

She is the Warrior! Pat Benetar has one of the most in-your-face attitudes of all time, not to mention the greatest lyrics in hits such as 'Hit Me With Your Best Shot,' 'Love is a Battlefield' and 'Heart Breaker.' (Oops, I think I've exposed my guilty pleasure.)