Students see few solutions to tension

Addressing the heightened racial tensions on UW-Madison's campus in past weeks, Chancellor John Wiley led a discussion Thursday that acknowledged the problem but offered few concrete solutions. 

While no incidents of harassment have been reported to campus police, the university has received 18 reports of verbal or physical assault since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, according to Wiley. The university has made no policy changes in response to the incidents, but Wiley said officials are following up on the reports. 

Roughly 25 people attended the last of three listening sessions intended to solicit public comments and suggestions on campus climate. After Wednesday's discussion, Wiley said he received three more reports of harassment or assault. But he said it is difficult to gauge just how much harassment is occurring on campus because many incidents go unreported. 

Wiley also emphasized that the campus atmosphere has become increasingly hostile for people of color. 

One university employee has taken to eating in his office during lunch because of the unease he feels walking around campus, Wiley said. 

\People are changing their behaviors not because something happened to them, but because they are afraid something will,"" he said. ""I am very concerned about the students, especially the international students, who seem to be the most targeted across the country."" 

He pointed to the responsibility community members have to improve campus climate. 

""I think the people that do care and think the climate needs to be improved cannot just sit back in silence,"" he said. ""We have to become more engaged. It's everyone's responsibility. ... Everyone who is not a member of a targeted group has the responsibility to make sure those people don't feel uncomfortable."" 

A representative of a student organization said he knew of several unreported instances of harassment. He said the campus has become very uncomfortable for students of color, particularly students attired in traditional Middle Eastern garb. He said he has taken to listening to his Walkman wherever he goes to lessen the uneasiness he feels walking around campus. 

""[Eighteen incidents] is a pretty low estimate I think,"" said Vinai Gondi, a member of Student Action for Indian Volunteerism and Aid. ""And there are overt situations, a lot of staring and uncomfortable situations. ... I've come to deal with the fact that I look like a terrorist in Madison."" 

Gondi said while the listening sessions are well-intentioned, he is skeptical they will do any good. 

""Wiley has done the first step,"" Gondi said. ""But I think whatever the university does, it won't make a difference. He can have a million listening sessions, but the problem is not going to be solved in the next couple of months."" 

Phil Hansen, a first-year student, said he felt the discussion was helpful, but said he is uncertain how effective it will be at alleviating racial tensions. 

""For the people that showed up it gave a much more color and depth to the issue,"" said Hansen. ""But it seems a little like preaching to the choir."" 

Wiley said more listening sessions will be planned for later this semester.