Protesters urge thoughtful response

More than 200 people gathered on Library Mall Saturday for a peace rally organized by the Madison Area Peace Coalition in conjunction with a series of rallies held in Washington, D.C., Saturday, Sunday and today.  

The coalition, which was created Sept. 25 by more than 20 peace organizations, sent more than 100 Madisonians Friday to join the rally at the nation's capitol.  

Children, students and adults took part in the Madison protest.  

'The Madison Area Peace Coalition is organized around three basic themes,' said Norman Stockwell, the emcee of the event. 'Civil liberties and human rights, anti-racism and peace, not war.' 

Others spoke of the need to inform our nation about the issues we must face. 

'We need to go out and talk to people ... to let them know that we are about justice and democracy ... we are about unity and diversity ... we need to find new, more creative ways to talk [to them] and change what appears to be the course of history,' said UW-Madison comparative literature Professor Mary Layoun. 

'We have to learn our history, learn who we are ... we have to struggle ... we have to fight ... we have to educate and educate and educate and educate and adjudicate ... and we will win,' said Allen Ruff, a Madison resident and participant in the event. 

The peace protesters marched around the state Capitol, with participants following the beat of Brazilian drums played by members of the local band Handphibians and chanting phrases such as 'Drop food, not bombs.'  

According to Stockwell, the response was encouraging.  

'The numbers actually grew as we [marched] around the Capitol,' he said. 'Many looked on with great interest and support.' 

Stockwell said it is important for people to see events such as this and to realize there are other ways to deal with a national tragedy. 

'I think what this rally and others like it show is that a lot of people are looking thoroughly at the situation and aren't simply buying into the drumbeat of war that is emanating from Washington, D.C.,' he said. 'I think that people are shocked and saddened'justifiably'over the events of Sept. 11. But part of our humanity is that we need to respond thoughtfully and consider all possible ramifications of our actions rather than simply blindly lashing out.' 

Brian Walker, a member of the coalition, said he wanted to thank all those who participated in the peace rally.  

'It takes a great deal of courage to come here and assemble,' he said. 'I thank you very much for having that courage.'