Phil's Halloween tricks and treats

Although some mistakenly thought that Halloween came and went this weekend, today marks the actual date when children across town traditionally go trick-or-treating. So, in the spirit of Halloween, allow me to offer you a handful of sporting delights. Without further ado, here are a few real-life trick-or-treat situations in the world of sports. 

Fact: Wisconsin men's basketball ranked seventh in the nation in home attendance for the 2000-'01 season. 

The hiring of Bo Ryan as head coach in the off-season signals a departure in style for UW. Ryan will direct a more up-tempo offense than his predecessors Brad Soderberg and Dick Bennett. While that is an exciting prospect to most observers, a lot has changed since the Badgers last took to the court. 

At the conclusion of last season, UW lost five seniors, including four starters, from a team that bowed out of the NCAA Tournament earlier than expected. This season, the team boasts only two seniors and five returning lettermen. In addition, three other players expected to contribute this season, Ricky Bower, Julian Schwartz and Latrell Fleming, left the program for various reasons since May. 

Just how excited are students about supporting the team this season? I think \less than usual"" is a safe bet. Unfortunately for Coach Ryan, even his new system may not attract as many fans to the Kohl Center as a guaranteed winner would. According to the UW Athletics ticket office, plenty of student season tickets are still available, so nobody is exactly banging down the doors to get to this team. 

Trick or treat'?Trick. The season could be brutal. 

Fact: The Milwaukee Bucks handed All-Star forward Anthony Mason 21 million reasons (grade-A Wisconsin moo-lah) to work in the Dairy State. 

It is already clear that I am not the only one worried about this combination. Owner Herb Kohl rewarded Coach George Karl's request to sign the stubborn, perennial trouble-maker in Milwaukee's attempts to bring home a championship. But is there room for Mason? 

The Bucks already walk a fine line in spreading the ball between the Big Three and Tim Thomas. Mason will demand the ball early and often, something that Sam Cassell currently does for Milwaukee. Will Mason ruin team chemistry or will his all-around skills overshadow his reputation? At the very least, Mason brings ruggedness that the rest of the team lacks, which could be Milwaukee's missing ingredient. 

Trick or treat'?If the Bucks meet the Lakers in the NBA Finals, it's a treat. Anything less and it's egg and toilet paper all over Kohl's house. 

Fact: The Chicago Bears and the Pittsburgh Steelers sit in first place in their respective divisions with 5-1 records. 

Fans in the Windy and Steel cities can wear their NFL colors with pride again and not be faulted for wearing hilarious costumes. Not only have Chicago and Pittsburgh made unexpected turnarounds, but Cleveland, Cincinnati, San Diego and San Francisco all have winning records as well. If that does not spook you this Halloween, I don't know what will. 

The reverse is also true. Pre-season Super Bowl favorite Tennessee is floundering at 2-4 and not one team in the NFC East has a winning record (Philadelphia is 3-3). The rest of the season may even things out, but for now, Vegas odds makers are pulling their hair out. 

Trick or treat'?Treat, of course. You gotta love the underdog. And when was the last time the Bears and Packers were good at the same time? Yes, this is good.