Going to the goal with UW’s Scott Repa

The Daily Cardinal gets a yellow card with men's soccer senior midfielder Scott Repa. 

Repa, one of UW's top defensive players, has started all 14 of the Badgers' games so far this season and is one of Wisconsin's three captains this season. 

He scored his first goal of the season (and second of his career) in the Badgers' 4-2 victory over IUPUI Oct. 19. 

How did you get involved in soccer?  

I think my first practice was a couple of weeks before I turned four. My parents just signed me up for a rec league.  

What do you plan on doing after graduating this spring? 

I plan on going to graduate school for philosophy. I am a zoology and philosophy major. I would like to eventually get a Ph.D. and maybe be a professor and write or teach.  

So you're not going to do anything with soccer? 

If I got the opportunity, but it's not likely. There are a lot of good players out there. You can't count on things like that.  

How does it feel to play for the Badgers? 

It is special. Both my brother and sister went to school here. It is close to my hometown [of Racine, Wis.], so my parents are able to come and see me. I am very proud of Wisconsin, so it's a dream come true. 

Why did you choose to come to UW?  

I applied here. I was also recruited here by the coaches. 

What is it like playing for UW Head Coach Kalekeni Banda? 

It is challenging sometimes because Coach Banda has a different philosophy than a lot of different coaches, so it is just getting use to what he wants. It can be a challenge, but it is also fun. He is a good guy.  

What has been the highlight of this season for you personally? 

Well, I got to score a goal last week. As a defender, those are few and far between. 

What has been the highlight of your career here at UW? 

Getting to play in a lot of games. That's all I really wanted to do. [I played] wherever they wanted me to play, just as long as I could be on the field and being able to be out there and working every game. 

What kind of responsibilities do you have being a tri-captain? 

Making sure the players are happy and making sure that some of the things the players maybe don't quite understand coming from the coaches, [offering] positive reinforcement [and] helping younger guys make a transition to a game that is a lot different from what they are used to. 

How would you assess the team's performance this year? 

[It is] a work in progress.