Madison seeks input on alcohol issues

A recently formed city subcommittee on alcohol issues met Monday as part of a series of 'stakeholder' meetings, in which committee members receive input from citizens with an interest in how alcohol is used in Madison. 

The Alcohol License Review Committee's Subcommittee on Comprehensive Alcohol Issues will take input received at the stakeholder meetings and an Oct. 17 public hearing on campus into consideration when it makes recommendations on how to deal with health and safety problems arising from the overconsumption of alcohol downtown, according to Subcommittee Chair Ald. Kent Palmer, District 15. 

Among the proposals the subcommittee is considering is the creation of entertainment districts on Regent and State streets and University Avenue. Taverns within the districts would be encouraged to work together to make the streets outside their businesses safe, Palmer said. A ban on advertised drink specials within the districts would also be considered, Palmer said. 

Monday the subcommittee heard from the city building-inspection department about why tavern capacities are often below the number of people that seem to be able to fit comfortably in the bars. 

Subcommittee members noted that bar capacities are often determined by state building codes limiting the number of people per toilet, or limiting the number of people that can be in older buildings that are less fire resistant no matter what their size is. 

'The ALRC cannot specify something higher [for capacity] than what the building inspector says,' subcommittee member Thom Garver said. 

Cabaret licenses, which permit businesses to host dancing patrons, were another topic of discussion at Monday's meeting, as several committee members expressed concerns about restaurants that turn into dance clubs at night. 

'We're not against dancing. We're not one of these blue stockings,' Garver said. 'I think one of these problems is people come in ... and say they're a restaurant and then they go out and do something else.' 

Subcommittee member Richard Lyshek said the way to prevent unanticipated night clubs from springing up is to require night clubs to have their cabaret licenses. 

'If you want to eliminate restaurants turning into something you don't want ... enforce the cabaret license,' said Lyshek, who is the owner of Bull Feathers, 303 N. Henry St. 

Future stakeholder meetings will include input from Associated Students of Madison representatives and the Oct. 17 public hearing will take place on campus, although a site has not yet been selected, Palmer said.