Letters to the Editor

Race-based admissions a necessary evil

Chad Novotny's recent letter to the editor ('Race-based admissions don't promote equality,' Sept. 10, 2001), while underscoring the fact that the affirmative action process is not an ideal solution to the lack of ethnic diversity in higher education across the country, ultimately reveals a myth deeply embedded in American culture and still maintained by many: the belief that one's efforts and intelligence unequivocally translate into success. Novotny contends that 'legally everyone in this country is equal,' yet our country still suffers from privilege systems, based on categories like ethnicity and class, lingering from a heritage of ethnic discrimination and conflict. 

While consistently (and rightly) stressing the unfairness of having to pay the debts of one's ancestors, detractors of affirmative action too often ignore the present reality where a lack of equal opportunities begins in K-12 education. Even with tremendous effort and intelligence, students in poorly funded public school districts who work hard now are not guaranteed success. Affirmative action policies attempt to correct unequal opportunities with unequal admissions standards. It is an evil, but an evil arguably necessary until we commit to making equal opportunities in education a reality from the beginning. 

Understanding and cooperation necessary

We, the India Students Association, condemn the various terrorist attacks carried out in New York. Today, our sympathies, condolences and prayers are with the victims of these vicious acts. We believe that terrorist acts are cowardly and inhuman, fighting against the one human right'the right to live peacefully and with freedom. 

We in the India Students Association are doing everything in our power to help the innocent victims in New York. However, we would like to stress the importance that a full understanding of the situation is received in Madison. We have been shocked at the threats and various violent treatments enacted upon the Islamic community in Madison. We agree with our fellow students of the Muslim Students Association that the actions of Islamic extremists should not be mistaken for the actions of the Islamic community. 

We hope a better sense of understanding and cooperation is developed due to these tragic events so that people may learn that we are with them in heart, mind and spirit. 

p

Gautham Rao 

UW-Madison Senior, ISA President