Letters to the Editor

Rose Bowl not an option for Badgers this year

I was a little surprised to read 'UW Prepares to Battle a Legend' in Friday's Daily Cardinal. According to Andy Benlohr, a win for the Badgers at Penn State on Saturday could 'jump start their run at another Rose Bowl.' Really? I figured that with two losses, UW-Madison is out of the National Championship game. Maybe someone should let the Cardinal Sports staff know that there is a BCS system in place now and that with the rotation, the Rose Bowl is the National Championship game this year. It's not the traditional Big Ten/Pac 10 matchup. I can understand the average fan/student not knowing this, but for sportswriters, it's inexcusable. 

True justice possible with unity, education

Last week's attack has left so many hearts littered with sadness, fear and anger. More violence should not be the answer, however. It would be naive to say 'more violence cannot be the answer' because of the real possibility that the United States will adopt that policy. Of course, justice cannot be attained through any act of revenge.  

It is great that so many are informing the public about the history and doctrines of Islam, as well as discussing the United States' poor foreign policy up to now. The United States is not a pure nation by far. We've done horrible things to other countries that should not be allowed to continue. However, what we've done to other countries to lead them to dislike our government does not give anyone cause to commit such a horrendous crime'a crime against innocent people, a crime against Islam and a crime against this world as we know it. No wrongs any country has committed against another deserve to be repaid with such an act of violence. That includes the United States, which does not have the right to kill more innocent people because it's thirsty for vengeance.  

It will also be difficult for true justice to occur if people keep making fun of our president and other government officials. Like it or not, for the cause of peace to be realized, these are the people with whom we need to walk hand in hand. Even though some may not think very highly of these officials, for us to demand their respect and attention we must show them that same courtesy.