Letters to the Editor

Actions contrast with Friday's message

I am deeply troubled by your recent coverage of the interfaith service held on Library Mall Friday afternoon. Expecting nothing but open-mindedness and acceptance from our city and especially our body of students, I couldn't have been more shocked by the events. As sociology Professor Joe Elder spoke against harassing those different from oneself, a group of women marched in front of the podium waving banners that said 'Jesus soon to judge' and 'All that matters'you are headed to hell.' But my outrage does not lie with them'it lies with the audience's offensive reaction to this message. Did they wait for the proper authorities to deal with the situation appropriately? Did they protest vocally and ask them to leave? The crowd cheered as their signs were knocked down. The crowd clapped as a student grabbed one of the girls from behind, carted her across the Mall and placed his hand over her mouth to silence her. In the midst of a speech about peace and acceptance, did the speaker comment on or ask for a peaceful resolution? He simply continued with his speech, ignoring the hypocrisy of what was happening below. When the police arrived, the women were escorted from the mall. Was the student who used physical force detained? Did anyone, myself included, speak out to the police telling them of the young man's actions? The crowd simply cheered and returned their focus to the speech, triumphant that conservative ideals had once again been oppressed on a campus that prides itself for its liberal atmosphere. 

The events themselves were enough to leave me disgusted, enraged, upset and disappointed in the crowd's, and particularly my own, inaction. Upon opening Monday's Daily Cardinal, however, I found myself even further frustrated. I found only a trifling mention of the women's disturbance, and two columns in the Opinion section speaking against the women's message. There was no mention of the violation of their civil liberties. No mention of the lack of police action taken. No mention of the crowd cheering at the disregard for the women's rights. The women protesters were dismissed as a fanatical disturbance swiftly overcome. I consider myself a liberal, and although I do not agree with these women's message or the venue in which they chose to express it, I am horrified by the response it received from our community, our law enforcement and our own college journalists who are meant to remain an unbiased voice in troubling times. 

Students react, ignore Pledge's meaning

After all the sappy, neo-born-again patriots that have written in, I feel that I need to say a few words about last week's events. The loss of human life was indeed tragic. I feel sorry for all those who lost a loved one or are still hoping the one they love will be found. Violence is an answer to nothing. 

However, there are a few things that sickened me in the past days. I attended the ceremony at Library Mall on Friday. I listened as hundreds recited the pledge of allegiance. I did not, and I was correct not to. Not ten minutes after the masses said 'with liberty and justice for all,' they were booing and physically attacking three individuals who where exercising their own rights and liberties by carrying signs through the crowd. I don't claim to agree with what the signs said. Let people say what they want'we were on American soil at the time. I'm sure those three got what the attention they wanted, though their method was nonviolent. We should amend the last line of the pledge of allegiance to 'liberty and justice for those who believe what everyone else believes.'