Badgers batter Penn State

It was Barry Alvarez's kind of game. 

Wisconsin ran for 320 yards, played suffocating defense and controlled the ball for more than two-thirds of the game in a grinding 18-6 victory over Penn State Saturday at State College, Pa. 

'We have been in track meets for the last two weeks'the ball being thrown all over the place,' Alvarez said. 'I hate games like that, I like games like this.' 

Redshirt junior quarterback Brooks Bollinger returned to the lineup for the first time since the season opener against Virginia Aug. 25 and ran 23 times for 112 yards and a touchdown. He also completed seven of 12 passes for 67 yards and a touchdown and caught a pass for 26 yards. 

The Badgers defense racked up 8 sacks and 12 tackles for loss on their way to holding the Nittany Lions (0-1 Big Ten, 0-2 overall) to 131 total yards'the lowest total ever by a Joe Paterno-coached Penn State team. 

'They played well and we got a good licking and played like a bunch of scared rabbits in the first half,' Paterno said. 

Senior defensive end Wendell Bryant led the Badgers' defense with 4.5 sacks and a fumble recovery. End Delante McGrew added two sacks, three tackles for loss and a forced fumble. 

'That is how we are supposed to play,' Bryant said. 'Our coaches train us to play like that'fundamentally sound, get after the ball, get turnovers, things like that.' 

Wisconsin (1-0 Big Ten, 2-2 overall), scored on its first three drives of the game, beginning with a nine-play, 61-yard drive capped by a three-yard touchdown toss from Bollinger to tight end Mark Anelli. Redshirt freshman running back Anthony Davis'who ran for 200 yards in the game'provided the spark, garnering 35 yards on three carries on the drive.  

Wisconsin scored again on its second drive, a methodical 15-play, 58-yard drive that culminated in a 30-yard field goal by Allen to extend the lead to 9-0. Bollinger provided the key play with a 15-yard run on a quarterback keeper on third and 14'one of 10 third-down conversions the Badgers managed on 17 attempts.  

Wisconsin used a little trickery to help make it three scores on the team's first three possessions. With the ball on Penn State's 47, Bollinger threw a long-distance lateral across the field to junior wide receiver Lee Evans, who appeared to be setting up for a screen. Instead, Evans threw back across the field to Bollinger, who had a cadre of linemen leading him downfield for a 26-yard gain. 

Two carries by Davis brought the Badgers to the 5, but Wisconsin faltered from there and was forced to settle for a 21-yard field goal by Allen to cap the first half's scoring. 

Penn State drew within 12-6 early in the third quarter when quarterback Matt Senneca hit halfback Larry Johnson for a 50-yard touchdown. 

Wisconsin came back on the ensuing drive, marching 78 yards on 11 plays. Bollinger capped the drive with a three-yard touchdown run to make the score 18-6. 

'You always feel good if you can walk into Happy Valley and come out of here with a win,' Alvarez said.