A sane Coupland defines meaning of psychotic

Douglas Coupland, pioneer of the Generation X counter-culture, graced the Orpheum Theatre Monday night in his first stop on his ten week tour promoting his new novel, 'All Families are Psychotic.' 

The book portrays the contemporary, dysfunctional family at its prime. The protagonist, Janet, a 64-year-old Vancouver housewife, gathers with her colorful and always interesting family to watch her daughter be launched off into space on a NASA spaceship. Catastrophes soon follow this joyous event and many family members turn to each other to answer questions about themselves and their society in this creative tale only Coupland can weave. 

Coupland, known for his profound wit and commentary on contemporary culture, appeared looking happy and secure in his new-found middle-age. The 39-year-old author read the first chapter and then answered questions from the decent size crowd. As to how he has grown and changed since the breaking of the cult-classic, 'Generation X,' he simply responded, ''Generation X' has only been a book.' As to how he has adjusted to middle-age he says, 'I like people for what they are not, just as much as for what they are.'