Two injured in fight after basketball game

Two Minnesota Gophers fans were injured early Wednesday after the Wisconsin basketball team beat the Gophers in Madison Tuesday night.

Madison police arrested Madison resident Francisco Rengel, 22, on felony charges of substantial battery and disorderly conduct.

Officers were dispatched to a fight on the 500 block of University Avenue around 2 a.m. Wednesday morning, according to the incident report.

According to Madison Police Department spokesperson Howard Payne, Rengel said the incident started out as ""friendly banter.""

""The friendly banter turned sour after the basketball contest had concluded and Rengel and associates would see a 24-year-old and 25-year-old victim at a local bar,"" Payne said in a statement.

Rengel allegedly hit the 24-year-old victim, of Waunakee, 15-20 times in a nearby Conklin Place alleyway.

There was no information on how the 25-year-old victim, of Milwaukee, was injured.

The 24-year-old victim sustained a laceration to the left side of his face and a hematoma to his ear, police said.

The 25-year-old victim needed sutures to the bridge of his nose.

""The situation ballooned out of control, with violence being an inappropriate option of solidarity for one's chosen team,"" Payne said in a statement.

Alcohol was a factor in the incident, Payne said.