UW Hillel hosted a poll party to help students relax on election day.

Students take breather from election stress at UW Hillel event

UW-Madison Hillel students gathered Tuesday for a poll party celebrating the gubernatorial election.

The Madison Poll Party event was organized by UW Hillel staff to encourage students to get out and vote, but most importantly, to remind people to take a breath on U.S. Election Day and during the voting process, according to Lizzy Wallis, the Springboard Social Justice Fellow at UW Hillel.

Free food and treats were offered at the event. Students could also engage in activities such as button making or jumping in a bouncy house.

“These activities were designed to help students relax and have fun despite the stressful election season,” Wallis said.

Voter turnout for young adults (ages 18-29) reached record lows in recent years according to the Campus Vote Project. Wallis works with college students to encourage them to vote because she believes every vote matters.

“The Poll Party is a great way to spread awareness for civic engagement, not just for the Jewish community but also for the entire student body,” Wallis said.

Wallis wants young voters to realize that “we have the agency to create our future through voting, it’s important we all get out there and vote.”

The event was co-sponsored by UW-Madison’s Multicultural Student Center and Gender and Sexuality Campus Center, along with the Associated Students of Madison.