Celebrating diversity of Latinx ‘cultura’

The word “cultura” means culture in both Spanish and Portuguese. That’s why UW-Madison's Latinx Heritage Month planners chose it as the theme for their celebrations this year.

Beginning with a kick-off celebration this Friday, the organizers have a full week of events lined up, all united by an emphasis on cross-cultural inclusivity within the Latinx community.

“There’s many different countries and traditions within Latin America and South America that are very different from one another, and many people are not aware of how diverse Latin America is,” said Eloisa Negrete Garcia, the event’s outreach coordinator. “But with current issues, it's so important that everybody come together and learn about one another. This is a time to celebrate each other’s differences and have welcoming discussions about all these issues.”

One of the events Garcia said she is most looking forward to is a keynote speech by writer and activist Amara La Negra, who, among other things, writes on colorism.

“It’s going to be so motivating and interesting, and it’s a topic that’s just getting bigger,” Garcia said. “There are going to be some really important events that talk about current issues.”

Some of those events include seminars on social justice, toxic masculinity and immigration law. Others, like free concerts and the Latinx Ball, will celebrate the diverse cultural experiences of Madison’s Latinx community.

All, Garcia said, will be learning opportunities that promote a greater sense of Latinx community presence on campus.

“When I first came to UW, I didn’t hear about the Latinx community on campus. I was just in my own little world,” Garcia said “Having this community is important because it just makes you feel comfortable to know that there are so many people on campus that are like you, who think like you.”

The event is a collaboration between several Latinx groups on campus and was made possible by the Associated Students of Madison, the Multicultural Student Center and alumni donations.