UW-Madison suspends Theta Chi fraternity for multiple conduct violations

The UW-Madison chapter of Theta Chi has been suspended from all university activities until Oct. 21, 2018 following a series of conduct violations by the fraternity, a university report revealed Monday.

The suspension comes after a student-led Committee on Student Organizations found the chapter violated the code of conduct on three separate occasions in November 2017.

The first violation is reported to be on Nov. 4, when three underage women consumed alcohol at a party at Theta Chi. One was a high school student who became incapacitated and was taken to the hospital for alcohol detoxification treatment.

The high school student's friends later reported that the drug rohypnol was found in her system, according to the report. The student was accompanied by friends during the incident and there is no indication she was sexually assaulted.

On Nov. 18, Madison police shut down a tailgate party at the chapter house after members disregarded warnings that the crowd had grown too large and no more guests should be admitted.

The university report said an underage woman was found to be drinking alcohol and reported that hard liquor also was being served.

The third violation occurred Nov. 20. It was reported to a Fraternity and Sorority Life staff member that a Theta Chi member sent a text message to a woman asking her to write "X" and "rush" on her breasts and send him a photograph.

According to the report, the chapter is barred from holding events and activities and from operating with the rights and privileges of a registered student organization.

Theta Chi will be unable to admit a fall pledge class, and chapter members must also complete workshops on healthy and respectful relationships and sexual consent.

After the suspension ends in October 2018, the organization will be placed on probation, and no alcohol will be allowed at events until Nov. 25, 2018.

The Theta Chi chapter will then be placed on general probation until Nov. 18, 2019. If an organization commits additional violations while on probation, sanctions may be more severe, and can include termination, according to the report.

The chapter has the right to appeal the decision to the Division of Student Life.