UW-Madison is once again the top producer of Peace Corps volunteers in the country, ranking first among large universities in the number of volunteers worldwide for the second consecutive year.

UW-Madison again ranked first in number of Peace Corps volunteers

UW-Madison is once again the top producer of Peace Corps volunteers in the country, ranking first among large universities in the number of volunteers worldwide for the second consecutive year, according to a university release Wednesday.

Since the founding of the Peace Corps in 1961, 3,279 volunteers from UW-Madison have served communities around the world — the second largest number of people from a single institution. This is the fourth year that UW-Madison has ranked in the top five universities and colleges, and there are currently 85 Badgers volunteering worldwide.

Chancellor Rebecca Blank recognized the university’s historic partnership with the Peace Corps in the release, saying UW-Madison’s high ranking underscores its commitment to global volunteer work.

“For our school to be No. 1 for the second year in a row speaks to this tradition and the commitment of our students to serving others,” Blank said “The Peace Corps offers an experience that will benefit them both personally and professionally.”

In addition to serving a number global communities, Peace Corps volunteers are able to gain professional skills and language proficiency, making them ideal candidates for careers in both the public and private sector.

“Volunteers make a profound impact through their work around the world and forge lasting relationships that have the potential to benefit their own communities and the nation,” Guido Podestá, dean of UW-Madison’s international division, said in a release. The experiences are truly transformational for all involved.”

News of the university’s top rank comes just before Peace Corps Week, which celebrates John F. Kennedy’s creation of the Peace Corps on March 1, 1961.

UW-Madison will hold a variety of special events to celebrate the 57th year of the Peace Corps from Feb. 26 to March 3, including writing workshops, a film screening and an open house.