Dane County Regional Airport Director Brad Livingston will retire at the end of August after 15 years in the position.

Amid traffic boom, Dane County airport to undergo terminal renovation

Dane County Regional Airport announced plans Wednesday to begin phase one of a $25 million terminal modernization plan.

With the addition of non-stop flights to San Francisco, Las Vegas and Philadelphia, the airport is undergoing significant growth.

Almost all major aspects of the airport will be upgraded as a part of the renovation including security, gate-seating and common areas.

This past year was the busiest for the regional airport, with more than 1.8 million passengers and the renovation project signals an attempt by the county to better flex its growing economic value.

When nonstop flights to San Francisco were announced, Dane County Executive Joe Parisi noted their economic significance.

“Not only will this flight serve tourists headed to California, but it will also provide a vital connection between high-tech Silicon Valley and south-central Wisconsin’s growing tech industry.”

Phase one of the project will not include breaking ground but rather the selection of consultants tasked with undertaking the design, engineering, construction and timeline development. The construction and renovation will being next year.