Madison Mayor Paul Soglin announced his re-election campaign in a video Friday, despite saying in July that he would not run.

Paul Soglin to declare for governor next week

With 2018 upon us, the race for the governor’s office seems to be heating up as Madison Mayor Paul Soglin prepares to step into the contest.

Soglin, rumored as a likely candidate for months, told reporters Thursday that he has hired key staff and plans to officially launch his campaign next week.

The mayor would be entering an already crowded Democratic primary contest, competing with the likes of State Superintendent Tony Evers, Sen. Kathleen Vinehout, D-Alma, Rep. Dana Wachs, D-Eau Claire, and several others, both officially announced and expected.

To stand out from the pack, Democratic candidates have argued why they are uniquely capable of defeating Gov. Scott Walker, who Soglin has told reporters is a “phony,” a “fraud” and a “hypocrite.”

The comments came a day after Walker tweeted a picture of Soglin meeting with former Cuban leader Fidel Castro, condemning what he described as the Democrat’s “extremism even by Madison standards.”

“I learned that communication and understanding are a great way of making progress,” Soglin tweeted back. “Especially when you have differences with people.”

With animosity raging even prior to Soglin’s official declaration of candidacy, the gubernatorial election is not likely to slow down.