UW-Madison named top producer of fortune 500 CEOs.

New website helps faculty handle hostile and intimidating behavior

UW-Madison faculty and staff members can now reference a website when faced with hostile and intimidating behavior in the classroom.

University policy defines hostile and intimidating behavior as “unwelcome behavior pervasive or severe enough that a reasonable person would find it hostile and/or intimidating and that does not further the University’s academic or operational interests.” Examples of these behaviors can include abusive or vulgar language directed at others, as well as unwanted physical contact or intimidating gestures.

The Office of Human Resources and the Office of the Provost created a new website that will help employees identify, prevent and address these behaviors by providing them with definitions and resources such as the Ombuds Office and the Office of Workforce Relations that can be contacted for consultation. These offices serve as forums where employees can seek guidance regarding workplace concerns.

According to Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff Michael Bernard-Donals, these behaviors are prevalent on UW-Madison’s campus.

“Hostile and intimidating behavior occurs across a range of workplaces and universities, including ours, are not immune to it,” Bernard-Donals told The Daily Cardinal. “The website provides information on how to prevent the behavior, and how to address it, and it includes a range of resources on campus.”

According to the new website, these behaviors are best avoided when addressed early on, and the campus resources and educational opportunities have been implemented with the desire to advise employees on how to eliminate these behaviors before it becomes too severe.

In addition to providing employees with definition and resources, the website also features a list of 12 members of the UW-Madison community — knowledgeable about hostile and intimidating behaviors — to serve as points of contact should issues arise.

The initiative is a part of an effort to create a community where people feel valued and have the opportunity to succeed, according to Laurent Heller, the vice chancellor for finance and administration.

“We all have a responsibility to treat others as we would wish to be treated,” Heller said in a statement. “This policy will foster an environment free from behaviors that hamper the ability of individuals to do their best work. We must address hostile and intimidating behavior when it happens.”