University Health Services Director of Administrative Services Arnold Jennerman and Accessible Reproductive Healthcare Initiative president Jordan Madden discussed, in multiple email exchanges, a possible plan to provide Plan B in vending machines at UW-Madison.

Media has a heavy impact on the stigma surrounding suicide

Music has the power to evoke so many different emotions. It can cause happiness, joy, and sadness but it can also change a life. It’s amazing how the movement of different chords and beats attached to words can have such a big impact on someone’s life.

Many musical artists like to use their platform to convey a message through their album or song. The renowned artist Logic took his platform and did something incredible with it. He wrote a song about a heavy topic that many steer away from and are afraid of addressing. He wrote a song about suicide.

The title of the song is “1-800-273-8255” which is the National Suicide Prevention Hotline. CNN reported that, “ (the) calls to the suicide prevention hotline spike(d) after (Logic’s) VMA performance.”

He wrote the song with a purpose of reaching millions who have struggled and who are struggling. He took his platform and shed light on an issue that does not get addressed enough. In a tweet when the song first debuted Logic said, “I made this song for all of you who are in a dark place and can’t seem to find the light.”

All throughout grade school and even into high school we never hear about the importance of mental health and stability — it’s just not something that is talked about.

School comes with a plethora of obstacles. There’s the academic component, the social component, family, finances and in the middle of it all, mental health is nothing more than a void.

Without being in a stable mental health state, overcoming all of that can seem impossible. We go through high school not knowing what to do and brushing it under the rug.We get into college and finally someone decides to speak on it.

UW-Madison does a great job at letting the student body and community know that mental health is very important. They provide us with endless resources to receive help.

Within the last few months Logic brought a new understanding to mental health, along with other recent instances of mental health being talked about in the mainstream, such as the popular Netflix show “13 Reasons Why.”

In the song, Logic begins by saying, “I’ve been on the low / I been taking my time / I feel like I’m out of my mind / It feel like my life ain’t mine / Who can relate?”

Many kids go their entire lives feeling hopeless that they will ever receive some sort of guidance through their pain. If suicide is such a serious issue and so many people are affected by it, then why is it not something openly discussed?

When Logic dropped the music video for the song, he received huge applause and positive reception from many viewers. The video currently has 75 million views and counting on YouTube.

By the end of the song Logic changes gears and writes, “I finally wanna be alive / I don’t wanna die today / I don’t wanna die / I finally wanna be alive.”

The song moves through like someone is calling the hotline thinking about ending their life and by the end they realize that they have so much to live for.

We should be able to address suicide head-on. We need to provide a welcoming community and understand that it is okay to struggle. The first step is accepting that fact then working towards rebuilding yourself. If you yourself are reading this and you need help or know someone who does, please pick up the phone and dial 1-800-273-8255. You are not alone.

Chelsea is a freshman intending on majoring in journalism. What are your thoughts on the song and how it addresses suicide? Please send any and all questions or comments to us at opinion@dailycardinal.com.