Abby Roque and the Badgers face Minnesota in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. UW lost to the Gophers 3-1 last week in the WCHA Tournament championship.

Badgers look to extend perfect season and sweep Border Battle

The No. 1 Badgers (10-0-0) are heading to Ridder Arena in Minnesota to play the No. 6 Golden Gophers (5-2-1) this weekend, after a sweep Bemidji State at home. Minnesota is coming off a weekend where it swept No. 8 Minnesota Duluth, and moved up a spot in the USCHO poll.

There is certainly no love lost between these two teams who have been each other’s only true rival in the WCHA for the past decade, with both teams winning the last nine regular season titles. The last two years have seen the Badgers take the crown, motivating a skilled Minnesota team for the weekend series. Minnesota began the year as the No. 3 team in the nation, but started the season slow, and fell as low as No. 9 just two weeks ago. However, it was able to right the ship last weekend, and now finds itself building momentum, and that it hopes to carry through this weekend’s series.

The Badgers have nothing but momentum coming into this weekend, boasting a perfect 10-0-0 record, with Sophomore center Abby Roque tied for the lead in points nationally. However, this is the Badgers first real test of the season, and it starts a brutal stretch that will see Wisconsin play four ranked teams in its next four series. That shouldn’t phase the team however, as it has been beaten up on its competition so far, with a plus 38 goal differential through 10 games.

Puck drop is set for 4 p.m. Saturday, and 5 p.m. Sunday. Both games can be seen live on BTN Plus, where the Badgers will look to sweep Minnesota for the first time since the 2015-’16 season, and extend their perfect season.