Activities to warm your heart this winter

Every November, we all experience a similar routine. The alarm ruthlessly wakes us up, and after burrowing deeper into our warm and comfy beds, we look through the window to the sun hiding behind thick, gray clouds. The wind blows against the glass, as if some ghost is screaming. It is clear; winter has arrived. Wisconsin winter is so freezing that stepping out of the door requires a lot of courage. Although altering the temperature is not an option, there are many activities to try that can change a poor mood. Here are three things you can do to warm the heart in such cold weather.

Make a home cooked meal

When the temperature drops, it’s time to get in the kitchen to make a hearty and comforting meal. There's nothing more heart-warming than a bowl of fresh chicken noodle soup, and all you need are a few ingredients. Gather chicken stock, cooked and shredded chicken, parsley, your preferred vegetables, egg noodles, salt, pepper and dill. Simply bring the chicken stock to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add the vegetables and cook till tender. Meanwhile, cook the noodles in boiling salted water, drain and add to the pot of stock. Finish off by stirring in the chicken, salt and pepper, and garnish with a sprinkling of dill and parsley for a touch of brightness. You can also make comfort food such as butternut squash soup or creamy mac and cheese to satisfy your appetite and warm the heart.

Take a bubble bath

If you feel stressed and constantly cold, a quick fix is to take a bubble bath. The warm water with a sweet fragrance, accompanied by your favorite warm drink or soothing music will dispel the fatigue immediately. Before you start, make sure the setting is perfect. Get the temperature just right: 112°F is the perfect temperature. Invest in a bath caddy to place your favorite magazine, drink and other bathing essentials. Set the atmosphere by turning on some music or dimming the light. Hang a “do not disturb sign” on your door — you deserve this moment.

Try new winter drinks

In the middle of your busy day, take a few minutes to get a warm drink from a local coffee shop. Go for a Pumpkin Spice Latte, flavored hot chocolate or anything you haven’t tried before. When feeling tired and unmotivated, just taking a sip of a warm soy latte brings rejuvenation. Explore Madison’s local coffee shops and you might find a new favorite drink.