Campus News

UW-Madison to conduct tests at Agricultural Hall amid lead concerns

University officials announced Monday that the lead-contaminated dust found in Agricultural Hall and surrounding areas was at low levels of detection and did not pose a major threat to the community’s health.

Image By: Cameron Lane-Flehinger

UW-Madison Environment, Health & Safety is investigating potential lead dust contamination in Agricultural Hall and surrounding areas, including Nancy Nicholas Hall after receiving reports of “unacceptable levels of lead dust” in the areas.

University officials believe that lead-contaminated dust escaped a work enclosure between June and September when contracting company Structurewerks was removing paint in the northeast emergency stairwell of Agricultural Hall, according to a university news release.

According to the statement, the School of Human Ecology Preschool Lab playground and rooftop terrace of Nancy Nicholas Hall will be closed until the investigation concludes.

“The safety of our employees and children who attend our Preschool Lab is our most important concern,” Dr. William Kinsey, the director of medical services at University Health Services, said in the release. “We are in the process of taking all possible steps to remedy this situation. We will share updates and information as soon as we have it.”

According to the release, Agricultural Hall employees, Human Ecology employees and parents of children attending the Preschool Lab have been notified of the situation. Results from the investigation are expected by next week.