A stovetop fire in Lucky Apartments caused an evacuation of the entire U Square building Thursday, including the Student Activity Center.

Lucky Apartments, SAC evacuated after stovetop fire

Blaring fire alarms in Lucky Apartments sent hundreds of residents and individuals that occupied the Student Activity Center onto the sidewalks Thursday.

A stovetop fire that started in a sixth floor apartment caused the alarm, according to a Lucky Apartments employee. Occupants were evacuated and the Madison Police Department, Madison Fire Department and UW-Madison Police Department responded to the scene.

Individuals were also evacuated from the SAC and shops beneath it, such as Pitaya and Milios. UWPD ensured people did not enter the building.

Several firefighters entered Lucky. Sprinklers in the apartment had put out the flames before their arrival, and they ventilated the space to clear out the smoke, according an MFD report.

Occupants waited outside for approximately 30 minutes before being permitted to re-enter the premises. 

The resident had left the stove on with pans containing cooking food on it as she stepped out of her apartment for approximately 20 minutes, according to the report. Nobody had been in the apartment at the time of the fire.

The report said the extent of the damages prohibited the occupant from staying in her home. She found other accommodations.