An ongoing investigation into a downtown homicide reported earlier this week has identified the victim in the case to be 46-year-old Andrew G. Nesbitt.

Victim, person-of-interest identified in downtown homicide investigation

A victim found dead in his downtown Madison apartment earlier this week was identified Wednesday by Dane County Medical Examiner’s Office as 46-year-old Andrew G. Nesbitt.

Preliminary results of a forensic autopsy determined Nesbitt’s death was the result of “homicidal sharp force injuries,” Medical Examiner Office Director of Operations Barry E. Irmen said in a statement. Additional examination and testing are still underway.

The victim’s body was found by his roommate Monday afternoon in an apartment building located at 27 N. Butler Street, near James Madison Park.

A man was taken into custody Tuesday as a person of interest in the case, according to Madison Police Department Public Information Officer Joel DeSpain. The suspect is currently in Dane County Jail on charges unrelated to the homicide.

There were no signs of forced entry into the victim’s apartment, according to an incident report, but DeSpain told The Daily Cardinal it does not seem as though the roommate who discovered Nesbitt’s body was involved.

The investigation, led by MPD Violent Crime Unit, is ongoing.