Teach for America will bring positive changes to classrooms

After graduation, where will you be? 

It’s been just over two weeks since President Donald Trump’s inauguration and until recently, I couldn’t seem to shake a feeling in the pit of my stomach. 

Our campus didn’t feel or look the same the day after the election. It was as if it was covered by a heavy blanket of confusion and uncertainty. Obviously that’s a metaphor, but I want to stress that I observed real, physical reactions to the election results. 

Now I bet you think I’m going to talk about a silver lining— something about how our campus community has since come together in protest and activism. But telling you that the Trump administration’s policies won’t change our future, and that we’ll all be okay is actually a mark of privilege. 

So instead, I’m going to talk about my decision to return to middle school next year. 

Yes, you read that correctly. Next year, I am choosing middle school over a press room bustling with journalists, like myself, committed to storytelling and providing justice for untold stories. I am choosing middle school over a corporate office in a big building with a cool new air hockey table in the break room and a tempting salary. I am choosing middle school because I recognize the power and centrality of education. I choose Teach For America. 

I believe the classroom is a powerful place for social change. Since I have the privilege to attend UW-Madison, I know that to be true from my own experiences. When I think about the social issues I am most passionate about—sexual violence, Black Lives Matter, access to health care, the right to choose—I realize how vital my classrooms were in providing a forum to express autonomy over my beliefs and gain perspective from my peers and educators. This is why I believe education is the most powerful tool at our disposal to disrupt inequity and create opportunity. 

As a corps member for the next two years in Chicago, I know I will face mental and emotional roadblocks as I tackle these complex, systemic issues. Despite that, lately I find myself deep on the internet, poring over reflections written by current corps members discussing the vitally important dialogue in their classrooms following this election. 

We have an opportunity. There is room to grow from this grief. This is not a perfect, silver lining. But in my middle school classroom next year, I will commit myself to creating opportunity. 

The pit in my stomach loosens each time I think about how my life will be different one year from now. As a classroom leader, I’ll continue to shape my values and beliefs, find my voice as a leader and more clearly define the impact I want to make on the world. 

So as you continue to reflect on the future of our nation and think about your first steps after graduation, I encourage you to step out of your comfort zone. Considering the moments that have defined your college experiences thus far, I hope you’ll find that your path is richer for it. 

Bex Schulman is a senior majoring in journalism with a certificate in gender and women’s studies. What are your thoughts on Teach for America? Do you think the education climate will be massively changed under the Trump administration? How will Betsy DeVos’ appointment as Education Secretary affect the future of classrooms? Please send all questions and comments to opinion@dailycardinal.com