Representatives from the Child Care Tuition Assistance Program told Student Services Finance Committee how the program has helped them.

Child Care Tuition Assistance Program allows parents to be successful students

The Child Care Tuition Assistance Program aims to support student-parents in their pursuit of high-quality childcare while fulfilling the university’s mission of education and research.

The CCTAP program began in 1985 and awards grants to help parents pay for childcare while attending the university. While they started with only $300 per family, CCTAP has grown to offer more than $800,000 in childcare grants each year. CCTAP served 196 student-families last year, according to Cigdem Unal, director of childcare and family resources for UW-Madison

Assistance for student-parents can come in several forms. CCTAP offers grants for parents to enroll their children in childcare programs both offered through the university and from outside organizations.

Larger grants have been awarded in recent years with the goal of pushing families toward childcare services that will provide a higher level of care and education.

Additional support of student-parents includes discounted music classes for children, as well as back-up childcare. Back-up childcare helps student-parents when their childcare providers close for the day, or their children are home sick.

“They chose to come to UW-Madison because of CCTAP support ... the support makes a big difference, the support means a lot to our students,” Unal said.

Student-parents do not have the same opportunities to use student services such as athletic facilities and student organizations; so for many parents, CCTAP is the only segregated fees program they utilize.

“I really appreciate everything seg fees goes to for the student body, but I really appreciate this program because as a grad student with a child I don’t have time to go to the gym, I don’t ride the bus, but I do feel like I’m included when I see this contribution of seg fees for CCTAP,” stated Brandon Shields, a second-year MBA student and single father.

Shields is one of many parents who credit the CCTAP program with allowing them to give their children high-quality childcare.

“Without this program I would not be able to afford that especially as a single father,” said Brandon Shields. “They take into account my income level ... then they provide a certain percentage that allows me to put my son in this program.”