Administrators consider replacing ‘safe spaces’

While the term “safe spaces” was created to bring marginalized voices to the table, recently some majority employees at the university voiced they felt that the term implies an event or resource wasn’t for them, according to Vice Chancellor Finance and Administration Laurent Heller.

During three discussions with the Engagement, Inclusion & Diversity Council, a cross-campus advisory group under the vice chancellor’s office, members raised concerns that this language would “side-track” conversations in the EID Initiative.

Heller said in a statement from that the group wants to “foster an environment of civility and respect while involving as many people as possible.”

The council put forward “sifting and winnowing” to replace “safe spaces” in their terminology to describe discussions. Heller’s statement said the language is a time-honored phrase, understood by our campus community and is consistent with UW-Madison’s deep commitment to the Wisconsin Idea.

Following an article from Madison 365, Heller sent a letter to the Multicultural Student Center to apologize and provide context for this decision. He stated that the change in language would only have been for one set of discussions.

“I apologize sincerely for the hurt and confusion this has caused. I promise to learn from this mistake and will redouble my efforts to listen to our campus community in all its diversity,” Heller said .

Heller told the MSC he believes safe spaces for minority groups are crucial for the well-being of communities and would continue to support their work and the use of safe spaces.