Photos: Wisconsin Football at Minnesota

Wisconsin and Minnesota will battle for Paul Bunyan's Axe in Madison Saturday. 

Minnesota looks to play spoiler at Camp Randall

Week 12 of college football has come and gone, and the annual matchup between the Wisconsin Badgers and the Minnesota Gophers is finally upon us. Not only is it a time-honored battle for Paul Bunyan’s axe, but this year it will play a crucial role in determining the Big Ten West division winner and potentially impact the college football playoff.

For starters, unlike in previous years, the Gophers have held their own this season. They’re just one loss behind both Wisconsin and Nebraska, the top two teams in the Big Ten West. That being said, the Badgers need this win to secure a West Division title and a spot in the Big Ten Championship game.

UW has been widely regarded as one of the best defenses in the nation. But offensively their run game should be able to overpower an exploitable Minnesota defense. The Gophers have held all of their opponents under 35 points this season. The Badgers, however, have been able to win games by both large and small margins.

On the other side of the ball, the Gophers have been impressive offensively this season, and are one of the top teams in the Big Ten. They rank among the Top Five in the conference in total touchdowns and have scored the fourth-most points per game in the Big Ten. As a result, UW’s defense must lock in and keep an explosive Minnesota offense out of the endzone.

Minnesota has closed crucial quarters very well this season. They are one of the best teams in the Big Ten in the final minutes of the second and fourth quarters. The Badgers will need to maintain their solid defense for the entire duration of the game to avoid a possible upset.

With the extra excitement of a big rivalry game, many eyes from around the nation will be fixated on Camp Randall Stadium Saturday afternoon. Tensions will be high and adrenaline will be pumping as the border battle will surely be eventful and impactful, whichever way it ends up.