Federal judge orders improved voter education, more training after voter ID controversy

With Election Day weeks away, a federal judge ordered Thursday that the state must provide more information to help every legal voter navigate the complex process of acquiring state-issued voter ID.

U.S. District Judge James Peterson issued the ruling to provide a "targeted remedy" to problems with a program designed by Wisconsin Department of Transportation to help people without identification documents obtain IDs promptly.

The DMV is allowed to continue its current practice of issuing temporary voting receipts within six days, and credentials must now be valid for 180 days as opposed to previous 60 days, Peterson ordered.

“What we are doing here is to patch it up, get it in good enough shape to get us through the November election," Peterson said Thursday.

A one-page explanation of the process for individuals who are most likely need it is due to the court Friday. The state must also submit a revised document for people applying to get voter IDs.

Peterson will sign off on both documents Friday so the state can start using them Monday. The DMV and the State Elections Commission will be responsible for distributing those documents to their contact lists, according to the Capital Times.

Peterson also demanded, for the long-term, that the voter ID process is working properly by enhanced training efforts for DMV employees and spot checks.

One Wisconsin Institute Executive Director Scot Ross criticized the state's failure to properly administer the voter ID law and preserve people's legal voting rights after Peterson issued the ruling.

"During the trial earlier this year we showed how the Republican controlled legislature passed, and Gov. Walker signed into law, measures intended to make it harder and more complicated, if not impossible, for minorities, senior citizens and students to vote," Ross said in a statement.