SSFC chair breaks down eligibility process for segregated fees

This year, students attending UW-Madison will pay around $1,200 in segregated fees, which are allocated in part to several registered student organizations across campus.

Before reaping the benefits of those funds, student organizations must undergo an eligibility process, established in 2000 when UW System student Scott Southworth sued the Board of Regents.

Southworth argued that paying student segregated fees to a group whose mission he did not agree with violated his First Amendment rights. The lawsuit resulted in the creation of the eligibility process.

Groups looking to be funded by segregated fees must now fill out an extensive 20-page application and give a presentation to the Student Services Finance Committee, which allocates those fees throughout the academic year, according to SSFC Chair Colin Barushok.

Groups must prove they provide educational programming to the UW-Madison campus community in order to receive funding. That educational programming must include fostering civic knowledge and engagement, intercultural and cross-cultural educational opportunities or the building of teamwork and problem-solving skills.

The Campus Women’s Center, Greater University Tutoring Services, the Student Leadership Program and several other groups are currently receiving segregated fees, according to the Associated Students of Madison website.

Last year, SSFC denied eligibility to Wunk Sheek, a student organization dedicated to providing a space for students of indigenous backgrounds to socialize and share their culture with the greater campus community.

“Their programming isn’t available throughout the academic school year. That’s also required,” Barushok said. “They need at least one core program that’s available throughout the academic year.”

According to Barushok, Wunk Sheek is applying for eligibility again this year.

“I’m really confident and excited for them to come back to the committee this year,” Barushok said. “We don’t grant or deny groups because we don’t like them. I think they all provide good services.”

If a group violates the terms of eligibility, according to Barushok, it is at risk of having SSFC freeze its budget. However, he said this disciplinary process rarely happens, and suggested students across campus engage in the student organizations that receive funding from segregated fees.

“I encourage [students] to go out and use these programs, because they pay for them,” Barushok said.