Bart Houston

Fifth-year senior Bart Houston won over Paul Chryst and will start against LSU. 

Houston, we have a quarterback: Redshirt senior named starter

After practice Thursday afternoon, it was announced that senior quarterback Bart Houston will start the season opener against LSU at Lambeau Field.

This announcement comes after a lengthy competition between Houston and redshirt freshman Alex Hornibrook, with both QBs showing similar strengths and weaknesses. Throughout practice, neither has shown much consistency, with one pass being a perfect downfield strike and the next being a ball at the feet of a running back two yards out. Neither has cannon arms, and both could improve their footwork.

However, with Hornibrook being the younger player, Houston has an edge in the mental side of the game, like reading a defense, and seems to make fewer unforced errors.

By choosing a starter now, instead of a few days before the Sept. 3 kickoff, the team will be able to give Houston more practice reps with the first team. This allows not only Houston to acclimate more to the offense, but also for receivers and other offensive teammates to have greater familiarity with Houston.

Wisconsin and LSU will square off in Green Bay on September 3 with kickoff at 2:30.