Gov. Scott Walker issued an executive order Monday prohibiting state government from making any plan to comply with the Clean Power Plan.

Scott Walker issues order halting Clean Power Plan implementation

Gov. Scott Walker issued an executive order Monday barring implementation of the controversial Clean Power Plan as the state waits for the U.S. Supreme Court to determine the constitutionality of the law.

Executive Order 186 prohibits state agencies or departments from developing a plan to comply with the Clean Power Plan. The order comes after the U.S. Supreme Court granted a stay, blocking the law last Tuesday.

The Walker administration has argued that the effects of the bill would fall heavily on coal-dependent manufacturing states like Wisconsin.

"Clearly, this rule exceeds the President's authority and would place an undue burden on the Wisconsin ratepayers and manufacturers," Walker said in a statement. "The stay granted last week by the Supreme Court validates our concerns about this rule. The Executive Order we issued today protects our taxpayers from an unnecessary cost of up to $13 billion as we continue to act in the best interests of Wisconsin citizens."

State Attorney General Brad Schimel has supported the stay and has joined other states in the lawsuit to stop its implementation.

"It is an extraordinary action for the Supreme Court of the United States to grant a stay and is telling of the obvious illegality of the rule," Schimel said in a statement last week. "It's imperative that we fight back against the federal government's intrusion into the affairs of the State of Wisconsin."

Announced in August by the Environmental Protection Agency with the aim of eliminating carbon pollution by current power plants, the Clean Power Plan is projected to reduce carbon dioxide emission by about one-third by 2030.

Supporters of the regulations say carbon reductions will help address climate change and promote a shift to more renewable energy sources, which is expected to produce economic profits.

The plan controversially sets distinct rules for each state. Wisconsin, a state heavily reliant on manufacturing, received a tougher standard than most other states: The EPA called for a 41 percent reduction in Wisconsin's emissions.

"We're confident that the outcome of the litigation will confirm the strength and the legality of the Clean Power Plan," said Keith Reopelle, senior policy director at Clean Wisconsin, last week. "But in the end, we're confident that the state of Wisconsin and the country will move forward in a transition to cleaner energy."