Badgers shut out by rival Minnesota

The No. 3 Minnesota Gophers (23-3-1 WCHA, 28-3-1 overall) ambushed No. 2 Wisconsin (24-2-1 WCHA, 30-2-1 overall) in Minneapolis in the first match of a two-game series. It marks only the second instance where Wisconsin has lost during the long regular season, which comes to an end after Saturday’s rematch between the two powerhouse programs.

Minnesota controlled the game from start to finish, lighting the lamp twice in the first period, followed by a goal in each of subsequent frames. The first tally came from the Gophers’ defensive line when junior Megan Wolfe snuck one past Wisconsin’s Ann-Renée Desbiens at the 2:28 mark. Later in the frame, Amanda Kessel added a score, the first of two she would record that night.

The second period played much more competitively between the two squads, as one would expect. The Badgers were able to secure a power play at the 8:48 mark, but ultimately were unable to get on the scoreboard and capitalize on the opportunity. With both teams at full strength, Minnesota sophomore Sydney Baldwin found the net, putting the Gophers up 3-0 heading into the final frame. The final score came at 7:36 in the third when Kessel sounded the siren for the second time of her outing.

Wisconsin finished with 35 shots on net to Minnesota’s 32, despite the overwhelming goal disparity. Penalty minutes were identical for each unit as each respective team ended the contest with eight. The outside statistics reflected the similarity and competitiveness between the two squads more than the scoreboard did in this instance. The Badgers get another chance tomorrow to avoid what they dealt the Gophers’ on their trip to Madison: a sweep.