Bassett Mifflin

The proposed park would be located at the northeast corner of Mifflin and Bassett Streets.

City committees prepare to decide on downtown park

City officials will begin deliberations Monday to decide whether to condemn several properties on the corner of North Bassett Street and West Mifflin Street to build a neighborhood park.

Madison Mayor Paul Soglin and Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, introduced the plan to the Common Council Sept. 15, which referred it to three different commissions.

The decision to condemn the properties for the proposal hinges on cooperation of the rental property owners.

City staff noted discussions with the property owners to acquire the properties through an independent transaction “were either ignored, rejected, or responded to with excessive demands,” according to a report released Sept. 9.

To move forward with the plan, the City of Madison Parks Division recommended the city designate approximately one acre of land on the 100 block of North Bassett Street and the 400 block of West Mifflin Street for public use, forcing a buyout of the properties.

The park’s proposal stems from the City of Madison Downtown Plan, a 2012 set of guidelines to increase development and suitable land use in the city.

The Parks Division cited the rise in new apartment units in the area as part of the reasoning behind the proposal. Since the Downtown Plan was adopted, nearly 2,600 new units have been erected in the area surrounding the proposed park.  

The Parks Division also said the new park may include volleyball courts “and other light programming activities.”

“I really like the idea of a park. I think it would get a lot of use,” said UW-Madison senior Jake Folz, who is a Mifflin Street resident.  “The one concern I would have would be the rowdiness that happens at Mifflin. There seems to be more crime on Mifflin compared to other places I’ve lived.”

The Plan Commission will meet Monday to discuss the park proposal.