UW-Madison neuroscience program wins national award

A UW-Madison neuroscience program recently won a national annual award, earning the title of top graduate program in the country for 2014.

The Society for Neuroscience selects both graduate and undergraduate programs for its Neuroscience Program Achievement Award, which highlights a school’s work to promote neuroscience education throughout its university and surrounding community, according to the society’s website.

UW-Madison’s winning program, the Neuroscience and Public Policy Program, began in 2005 as a means to address a lack of science knowledge in the field of federal law. The program offers students a doctorate in neuroscience, in addition to a complementary degree from either the La Follette School of Public Affairs or law school.

Ron Kalil, director of the program and a neuroscientist himself, will head to Washington D.C. Sunday to accept the award, according to a university statement released Tuesday.

“It’s gratifying that the work our students and faculty have done since the program was established in 2005 will be recognized this way,” Kalil said in the release. “They have a lot to be proud of.”

The program has added two to three students a year since its establishment. The program also expanded to include specializations in international policy and neuroscience law relations, according to the release.