Five construction projects aim to reshape UW-Madison’s future

Here are five projects under construction or planned to be under construction soon on the UW-Madison campus.

The University of Wisconsin-Madison and the City of Madison are currently undergoing a series of construction projects to create larger spaces for several programs on and off campus. 

Here are five construction projects shaping UW-Madison’s future:

CDIS Building Exterior Courtyard.jpg

A brand new School of Computer, Data & Information Sciences

Construction of the new UW-Madison School of Computer, Data & Information Sciences building broke ground in April 2023

The school, a division within the College of Letters & Science, was launched in September 2019. After years of consistent growth in the program, the new building will be located on the corner of Orchard Street and University Avenue and is expected to be completed by 2025. 

It will provide a hub for collaboration, combining the programs of computer science, statistics and the Information School, according to UW-Madison.

Protected pathways have replaced sidewalks and some vehicle lanes are blocked during construction. Lori Wilson, marketing and communications director for UW-Madison’s Division of Facilities Planning & Management, said the pathways are intended to minimize disruption as construction continues.

More: Why students are flocking to the data science major

map of levy hall

Courtesy of UW-Madison.

Irving and Dorothy Levy Hall

UW-Madison is also preparing to construct a new space for the College of Letters & Science. 

Levy Hall, the new academic building for the College of Letters & Science, is expected to open in 2026, according to Wilson. The project is named after Irving and Dorothy Levy following a $20 million commitment from the namesake alumni’s sons.

Activity has already started on the site, located on the corner of Park Street and West Johnson Street. Two UW-Madison living spaces on the site — Susan B. Davis Hall and the Zoe Bayliss Co-op — are slated for demolition in coming weeks. 

“The Humanities Building is beyond the end of its useful life,” Wilson said. “It has chronic functional and operational design issues, including an inefficient building design and layout, fundamental design renovation issues, and systems at the end of their useful life.”

When complete, Levy Hall will house African American Studies, Gender and Women’s Studies, History, the Center for Jewish Studies, Religious Studies, American Indian & Indigenous Studies, Asian American Studies and Chican@ & Latin@ Studies, according to Wilson.

UW-Madison is working to move the School of Education’s Art Department and College of Letters & Science’s School of Music out of the Humanities Building, according to Wilson. 

However, the destruction of Mosse Humanities has not yet been approved. 

“Future projects need to be submitted as part of UW-Madison’s six-year capital development plan, which must be approved by [the] Universities of Wisconsin Board of Regents and then the State,” Wilson said. “Then, projects must be enumerated by the State Legislature and Governor prior to proceeding.”

More: Mecha de UW-Madison temporarily relocated to Red Gym for Levy Hall construction

Engineering Hall exterior

Evers' capital budget proposal included $347.3 million for a new engineering building on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus, estimated for completion in 2028.

A new engineering building

There is an increasing demand for admission to the College of Engineering. For school officials, a new building is a top priority to keep up with high demand and allow the school to enroll about 1,000 more undergraduates into engineering programs. 

In December, the UW Board of Regents agreed to a deal with the state Legislature to cap DEI positions for three years in exchange for building project funds, including the new engineering building. As part of the agreement, the UW System committed to restructure a third of existing DEI positions.

Gov. Tony Evers approved $197 million in funding for the engineering building project earlier this month. The new engineering building is expected to cost a total of $347 million and will be a 395,000-square-foot facility, quadruple the current facility’s size.

More: A timeline of UW-Madison’s fight for a new engineering building

Drake White-Bergey State Lake Street Parking Garage.JPG

Lake Street garage demolition, redevelopment

A multi-level parking garage on North Lake Street was closed on Dec. 27, and demolition occurred shortly after. 

The site will be redeveloped into a multi-use property featuring an intercity bus terminal, public parking, retail and housing. This project, spearheaded by the City of Madison, is anticipated to be completed by the fall of 2026.

More: Scabby the Rat highlights labor struggles on N. Lake St.

Kronshage_snow12_7237

Courtesy of Jeff Miller / University of Wisconsin-Madison

Kronshage, Humphrey, Jorns residence halls renovation

Kronshage, Humphrey and Jorns, three residence halls in the Lakeshore neighborhood, will be undergoing renovations to improve dorm spaces. 

New heating systems will be installed and lounges will be renovated and air-conditioned starting in 2027. Additionally, carpeting, doors and lights will be upgraded along with any other necessary improvements. 

More: UW Housing plans renovation of Kronshage, Humphrey, Jorns Residence Halls