Softball vs Illinois TW 2420 (1).jpg
Wisconsin softball plays a doubleheader against Illinois at the Goodman Softball Diamond on April 2, 2023 at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Wisconsin softball opens spring season in Phoenix with a split double-header

Following a resounding win against Weber State University in their opening game, the Badgers even out their season record to 1-1.

The Badgers played their first official game of the season in Phoenix, shutting out Weber State 8-0 in the Arizona Kajikawa Classic after their opening game in Tempe, Arizona was canceled. 

The Badgers started fast in their first-ever game against Weber State, taking a 1-0 lead after the first inning. 

Their hot start continued into the second with two more runs thanks to outfielder Molly Schlosser’s double to left field. The Badgers’ fielding supported their offense, allowing no errors and zero runners to cross home. 

Their offense continued to produce with three more runs in the fourth inning, then adding two more insurance runs in the fifth and final inning off hits from catchers Emmy Wells and Emily Bojan. 

With 11 total hits and no errors, the Badgers could not have started the season any better. 

Wisconsin continued their opening in Phoenix against Grand Canyon University, another school they had never played before, at GCU’s stadium before losing 5-2.

The Badgers quickly fell behind in the first inning by a single run from GCU. However, Wisconsin took the lead 2-1 after outfielder Brooke Kuffel launched a homerun over the left field fence, making this the junior’s eighth homer of her career. 

GCU got ahead 5-2, but were then shut down after pitcher Tessa Magnanimo took over the mound from Shelby Jacobson in the fourth inning.

The Badgers continued the Kajikawa Classic in Tempe on Feb. 10.