The City-County building serves as the seat of Madison's local government.

Jay Brower, Travis Austin advance in campus-area Dane County supervisor primary

Primary elections for the Dane County Board of Supervisors for Districts 13 and 36 appeared on the Feb. 20 ballot.

Dane County held primary elections for the Dane County Board of Supervisors Tuesday for District 13 and District 36, two districts each contested by three candidates. 

According to the County Clerk's Office, 61,559 registered voters cast 4,856 ballots for the primaries with a 7.9% turnout percentage. 

The general election will be held on April 2 to decide the 37 Dane County supervisors, who will each serve for two-year terms. Ten district supervisor races are each contested by two candidates, and 27 district supervisor positions are uncontested. All 37 races will appear on the April 2 ballot.

Here are the results of the primaries: 

District 13

District 13 represents much of Madison’s Regent Neighborhood and southern portions of the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus, including dorms and off-campus student housing. 

Town of Berry Board Supervisor Travis Austin and UW-Madison freshman Ronan Rataj challenged incumbent Jay Brower

Madison District 8 Ald. and UW-Madison student MGR Govindarajan publicly endorsed Brower on Feb. 15 due to his willingness to “work with the city to push similar policies at the county level and prioritize students.”

Brower earned 334 votes, followed by Austin with 93 and Rataj with 64. Brower and Austin will advance to the general election on April 2. 

District 36

District 36 encompasses Cottage Grove and surrounding areas east of Madison. 

Monona Grove School Board president Loreen Y. Gage, Cottage Grove County Board member David Peterson and independent consultant Andrew McKinney ran to replace retiring incumbent Melissa Ratcliff, who is now in the State Assembly. 

Peterson earned 327 votes, followed by Gage with 326 and McKinney with 219. Peterson and Gage will advance to the general election on April 2. 

Visit the Dane County website to find your district’s supervisor.

Marin Rosen

Marin Rosen is the City News Editor at The Daily Cardinal and a second-year journalism student. Throughout her time at the Cardinal, she's written articles for city and state news. Follow her on Twitter at @marin_rosen