JRAD Madison
Courtesy of Stephen Bloch

Joe Russo’s Almost Dead summons deadheads of all ages

The band made an appearance at The Sylvee on Nov. 30.

Joe Russo’s Almost Dead (JRAD) summoned deadheads of all ages to The Sylvee on Nov. 30. A sea of tie dye and tour tees filed into the venue to get a taste of the unique jam band’s sound. The immaculate chemistry on stage gave way to seemingly endless jams and accurate covers of some of the Grateful Dead’s greatest hits. 

JRAD was formed in 2013 by acclaimed studio drummer Joe Russo, Ween bassist Dave Dreiwitz, jazz pianist Marco Benevento, guitarist Scott Metzger, and lead guitarist and frontman Tom Hamilton Jr. 

Once the band appeared on stage, they immediately jumped into the 1968 Grateful Dead hit “Alligator.” The most exciting aspect of seeing a jam band live is trying to guess what song they will transition into, and this one was no different. The surprised look of the audience when the band teased their next song with a recognizable riff and the roar of the crowd after an exhilarating solo or satisfying breakdown added to the authenticity of the experience. 

JRAD’s sound is very similar to that of the Grateful Dead. Hamilton Jr.’s vocals are an almost perfect rendition of Jerry Garcia’s iconic high-pitched, twangy voice. If Hamilton Jr. is the Garcia of JRAD, then Metzger is the Bob Weir of the group. Metzger’s performance of the 1970 classic “Sugar Magnolia” once again proved why JRAD is one of the most celebrated Grateful Dead cover bands currently touring. The small improvisations and jams in between the verses are something out of a Dead show from the 1970s.

Joe Russo’s band was appealing because it harkened back to the Grateful Dead’s golden age. It was refreshing to watch these 50- and 60-year-old fans dance and move around in a way that didn’t reflect their age. Plus, it was finally a crowd that was courteous of others' personal space. People weren’t pushing their way through to the front and everyone was super nice and happy to be experiencing the good music. 

Joe Russo’s Almost Dead is a great band that is proof that the music of the Grateful Dead and jam bands are here to stay.