bascom-1.jpg

The University of Wisconsin-Madison's Bascom Hall photographed Nov. 6. Banners designed by UW-Madison doctoral student Molli Pauliot and faculty members Marianne Fairbanks and Stephen Hilyard are meant to represent commitment to "respecting the inherent sovereignty of the Ho-Chunk Nation and the other Native Nations of Wisconsin."

UWPD investigating racist incident at Mosse Humanities

UW-Madison condemned anti-Asian and anti-Arab sentiments after two individuals reportedly made death threats against members of the Sigma Psi Zeta sorority.

The University of Wisconsin-Madison Police Department is investigating a racist incident involving anti-Arab and anti-Asian speech, UW-Madison said in a statement Wednesday night.

The reported incident occurred Tuesday in the Mosse Humanities building and involved members of the Sigma Psi Zeta (SPZ) sorority, which describes itself as a “progressive, multicultural Greek organization that provides a means to success and support for women, particularly women of color.”

“Please be aware of these two guys! They barged in on my Sorority syzters at Humanities on 11/28, threatening to kill one of them assuming she was Saudi Arabian,” read a widely distributed image on social media, which included pictures of both men.

The post also mentioned spitting in the doorway and the use of anti-Asian language.

The image was shared by the official SPZ Instagram account as well as Instagram accounts for the UW-Madison chapters of Leaders Igniting Transformation and Students for Justice in Palestine.

UWPD said it has identified the two individuals involved. According to UWPD, the individuals are unaffiliated with the university and entered multiple rooms in the building.

“Hate and racism — in this incident, anti-Arab and anti-Asian sentiments — have no place on our campus,” Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Lori Reesor said in the statement. “I’m disheartened that our students experienced this and know that ongoing conflict in the world adds to the broader impact of this stressful situation.”

Jasper Bernstein

Jasper Bernstein is the Associate News Editor for The Daily Cardinal. Follow him on Twitter at @jasperberns.