Vaccine_clinic_campus21_3724

Madison Metropolitan School District passes measure to mandate COVID-19 vaccinations for teachers, staff

The Madison School Board unanimously passed a measure on Monday to mandate COVID-19 vaccines for teachers and staff, making exemptions for those with medical or religious reasons for not getting vaccinated.

According to the proposed plan, the vaccine mandate will be extended to all MMSD teachers, staff, school partners and volunteers that work in person. 

Those that do not get vaccinated will need to test twice a week and submit documentation for exemptions. However, staff that have not submitted proof of vaccination or an exemption by Nov. 15 will be placed on administrative leave. After Dec. 20, staff without proper documentation will be fired. 

In August, Superintendent Carlton Jenkins reported that MMSD had no plans to mandate vaccines for staff.

“At this point in the game, we just don’t see that as being an effective strategy,” MMSD spokesperson Tim LeMonds said

Three days before the vote on the vaccine mandate, Jenkins reversed his stance.

“As superintendent, yes, I am recommending that we move forward with a mandate for vaccination,”Jenkins said in a media briefing.

In the past two weeks, MMSD has had 144 positive cases and 789 close contacts necessitating quarantine. Since Aug. 18, the district has had 243 positive cases and 1,219 quarantined individuals.  

Other safety measures put forth by MMSD include a face mask requirement inside, outside and on buses; physical distancing measures, sanitation practices and COVID testing offered at some school locations. School nurses have also been collaborating with Public Health Madison & Dane County to provide contact tracing efforts.