News_TonyEversCoronavirus.jpg

Republican legislators are calling for Evers to reopen the state within the next four weeks. 

Senators, Representatives join Evers in seeking Federal resources for Coronavirus response

Gov. Tony Evers was joined by every member of Wisconsin’s congressional delegation in calling on support from national officials to receive additional resources more quickly in the state’s fight against the coronavirus outbreak.

Evers wrote an initial request Saturday to FEMA Administrator Peter Gaymor to expedite the processing of additional lab testing supplies and personal protective equipment for first responders and healthcare workers. 

Evers said in the letter requests for PPE, especially from the U.S.’ Strategic National Stockpile, have not been enough to fulfill the state’s need, and some requests for testing supplies and PPE seem to be stuck in the queue. 

On Monday, every Wisconsin representative in Washington wrote a letter to Gaymor mirroring Evers’ request to speed up processing additional supplies, saying it was critical the U.S. increases its ability to test for the coronavirus. 

“Wisconsin needs additional supplies and test kit production in order to effectively respond to this pandemic. Epidemiologists and other public health experts confirm widespread testing is effective for preventing and slowing new infections,” the members said in the letter.

Evers declared a public health emergency Mar. 12 due to the outbreak of the virus. Wisconsin now has 1,351 confirmed cases and at least 25 people have died from the outbreak.