LS_graduation.jpg

'Undecided': When you don't have a major

“Undecided.” A word that can have many different meanings, but for me, it has been my answer to the daunting question that is: “what is your major?” Even before coming to college I dreaded thinking about putting a label on my education, which is why I checked the box “Letters & Science” on my application as it gave me the most options. However, now as a second-semester college freshman, I feel as though I am constantly surrounded by people who seem to have their whole lives figured out. On top of that, I have had an overwhelming number of people express their concern for me through comments that generally point out how important it is for me to figure it out, as if I didn’t already know that. To say the least, this environment definitely has added an extra level of pressure and I will admit I have found myself wondering if I will ever decide on what I want to do. 

Yet simultaneously, I am motivated by the prospect of taking a class and just knowing that the wait was all worth it because, in the end, I am exactly where I am meant to be. I know for some the feeling of uncertainty is stressful and it might feel like you are falling behind your peers. However, with the flexibility that the University of Wisconsin gives its students in terms of declaring a major, you really are in no rush at all. To be completely honest I have met more people that have changed their major than people who haven’t, which proves that just because you put a label on it doesn’t mean it is going to solve all of your problems. Having your major be undecided might be criticized by some but in reality, it is fully normal and acceptable. So take it from me, someone whose interests blow in every direction of the wind, you will figure it out.